Deliverability issues in Magento-powered stores
Are some of the messages sent by your Magento-powered ecommerce store ending up in your customers' SPAM folder? If so, your store may be experiencing deliverability issues. It's a very common scenario and it's due to the fact that the SMTP server used by your store - which often is a shared SMTP server used by many other Web sites hosted by the same hosting company - might be suffering from a low-reputation problem. The low reputation of the sending server directly affects you - the sender - translating into transactional messages not getting delivered into the inbox.
This can be a serious issue as customers may not see important messages such as order confirmations, shipping confirmations, password reminders, etc.
The solution is to change SMTP server, and use a high-deliverability one.
Using MailUp as your ecommerce store's SMTP server
MailUp (Pro edition or above) includes SMTP+, which allows you to use your MailUp account as your SMTP server.
- There is no additional cost
- You can leverage the same sending reputation that you are enjoying with your MailUp account
- Messages sent through SMTP+ are tracked, so you can see statistics, for example, of how many people open your order confirmation messages
See details on how to create an SMTP+ account within your MailUp admin console.
Configuring Magento to use your SMTP+ account
Magento does contain settings that allow you to configure an external SMTP server. However, it is recommended to install an extension to manage this capability. There are several extensions available.
- A free extension such as ASchroder.com SMTP Pro Email - This is the extension that will be used for the rest of this article. Note that it does not support different server settings for different stores. The settings are only set at the "Default" level.
- A paid extension such as SMTP Email Plus, if you need different SMTP server settings for different stores in the same Magento installation.
Once you have installed such an extension, simply fill out the necessary fields with the SMTP server address and credentials for your SMTP+ account, which you can obtain from your MailUp admin console. You will need three pieces of information:
- SMTP server address
- User Name
Once you have obtained these credentials from the SMTP+ section of your MailUp admin console, log into your Magento admin area and navigate to System > Configuration > Advanced > System > SMTP Pro Email SMTP Settings
Configure the settings as shown here:
Then, enter the SMTP+ credentials in the corresponding tab. Here is an example (do not use these credentials, but rather your own account credentials):
You can use the Run Self Test feature to confirm that everything is OK.
You're all set!
Now your Magento-powered store is sending messages through your MailUp account.