The MailUp App for Shopify makes it easy for users of the popular Shopify ecommerce platform to take advantage all of the powerful email marketing tools built into MailUp.
Once the App has been installed, customer and order data flows automatically from the store into MailUp. With this data, MailUp’s triggered messages features can be used to automatically run marketing campaigns such as:
- Sending a “Thank You” message with a coupon 30 days after the purchase date
- Sending a cross-selling message based on the product IDs that have been purchased
- Sending a special reward (e.g. a gift certificate) to customers that have passed a certain amount of total $ ordered
- … and much more
The latest version of the app also allows merchants to create and send to their customers beautiful emails, right from their store's admin panel and without entering MailUp's control panel.
And - best of all - the MailUp App for Shopify is completely free of charge for MailUp users. If you are a Shopify merchant, sign up for a free trial and you'll be able to test the integration between the two systems free of charge, with minimal effort.
Installing the MailUp App for Shopify only takes a few moments. If you run into any issues, please contact us and we'll be happy to assist you.
First, click here to install the app onto your Shopify store.
You will then be taken to a quick setup Wizard. First, you will be asked to authorize the app. Click on Install MailUp Email Marketing to proceed.
To authorize the use of your MailUp account, click on Connect your MailUp account. If you don't have a MailUp account, click on Sign up for a free trial to request a 30-day free trial account and test the MailUp app for Shopify.
In the next window, enter your MailUp Credentials (the ones you always use to log into your MailUp account).
To authorize the MailUp App for Shopify on your MailUp account, click on CONFIRM
Then, map the fields between the two applications. This ensures that data from your Shopify store ends up in the correct fields in your MailUp account.
Finally, select a List to sync with. MailUp accounts support unlimited Lists (learn about what a List is in MailUp).
You are done. You can now access the app from the "Apps" section of your store's admin panel
Customer and order data synchronization
When the installation has been completed, the app will immediately attempt to perform a first sync with the MailUp List that has been selected. By that we mean that customers in your Shopify store that have opted to receive emails from you will be registered in the MailUp list as subscribers. This happens as follows:
- The app will query the connected Shopify store for customers that have opted to receive email communications from the merchant
- Customers will be broken up in batches of 250 (for performance reasons) and add to MailUp as subscribers, in the List specified during installation (this process could take some time if you have a large number of customers)
- Customers that have not opted into receiving email updates from you will be ignored
- Ecommerce transaction data associated with orders placed by opted in customers is not transferred to MailUp at this time. That means that the ecommerce fields will remain empty until a customer places a new order.
Customers that opt into receiving marketing communications from the store are automatically opted into a List in the merchant's MailUp account. In Shopify, customer can opt into receiving marketing communications at the time they place an order, by clicking on "Subscribe to our newsletter".
When an order is placed...
- At the time the order is paid, transaction data is transferred to MailUp (order ID, order date, order amount, IDs of products ordered etc.)
- At the time the order is shipped (if it is shipped), additional information is transferred to MailUp
- Order data is not transferred to MailUp if the order status is still "Authorized"
- If the order is cancelled before shipping, its data is deleted in MailUp. If there was a previously completed order, its data is restored.
- Customer data is transferred as soon as the customer begins the registration process and opts into email updates, even if the order is not completed successfully
The following order-related information is passed to MailUp:
- Customer ID
- Latest Order ID
- Latest Order Date
- Latest Order Amount
- Latest Order Product IDs (comma separated)
- Latest Shipped Order Date (if the order is shipped)
- Latest Shipped Order ID (if the order is shipped)
- Total Ordered by that customer
If there is an issue with passing the ecommerce data to MailUp (e.g. the MailUp service is temporarily unavailable due to a maintenance window), the app will attempt to transfer the data to it again, so that no transaction data is lost.
Create and send emails from Shopify admin panel
With the Mailup App, you can build and design stunning, mobile-ready emails directly inside your Shopify admin, thanks to BEE email editor, one of the most popular, easy-to-use drag&drop email editors out there. There's no need to leave your Shopify admin store, and no need of HTML or CSS coding knowledge to use the MailUp BEE editor.
Create a new message
You can create a new message by clicking on the "Create a new message" button in the Home page of the app or by clicking "New Message" in the "Messages" page of the app.
Select a template
The first thing you need to do is select a template to start from.
You can choose between "Rich templates", "Basic Templates" (same structure of rich templates, but without content) and "Custom Templates" (only available if you've previously saved a message as template).
If you choose "Custom Templates", you are also able to rename a previously saved template or delete it, in case you don't need it anymore.
If you previously worked on a new message without saving it, the app will ask you if you want to continue editing that message or discard it and start all over again.
Create a message with BEE
After selecting a template, the BEE editor shows up and you can edit the structure of the email and add or modify content.
You can also preview how your message will likely look in your email client, both on desktop and mobile, clicking on Action > Preview, or send it to yourself by clicking on Actions > Send Test and specifing the recipient of the test message. Please note that the test sent from here will only contain the body of your message e.g. what you see inside the editor. To perform a full test, including header and footer configured in your MailUp list, export the message to MailUp and run a test from MailUp administration panel.
You can also add some MailUp dynamic fields, that will be automatically replaced with your recipients' fields on sending. To bring up the list of available dynamic fields, just press @ while typing a text
For further help on how to use BEE, please refer to BEE Help Center.
When you're done creating the message, click on "Save", enter a subject for your email (mandatory) and choose "Save" or "Save as template". In the latter case, you will save the message as a template and it will be listed under "Custom Templates" in the template selection.
The Messages page lists all the messages you have saved.
From this page you can perform the following actions on each message:
- Send a test
- Save to MailUp
If you click on "edit", the app will detect if there is a previously unsaved edit of that message and will ask you if you want to continue editing that version or discard it and edit the last saved version.
The "Save to MailUp" button will save the Message to the MailUp account connected to the app. You will find it under Messages > Email > Saved in the list connected to your store. Use this feature if you want to review the message inside the MailUp administration panel or run advanced tasks, such as A/B testing.
If you click on "Send", you will be taken to the Sending Wizard.
Send a message
In the first step, you can configure the following settings.
- Email subject
- Email recipients: you can choose to send to all lists' subscribers or to a specific group, previously configured in MailUp.
- Date and time: you can set up an immediate sending or schedule for a later time, indicating date and time, plus your time zone. Please note that time zone selection will be saved, so the next sending will automatically have the last time zone used.
The "From Name" and "Reply to" address will also be shown. Note that you can't modify them in the app, to do so you need to go to MailUp and change them in your list properties.
Clicking on "Continue" leads to a second page, where you can review your campaign.
From here you can confirm the sending, decide to save the message to MailUp or cancel sending.
After hitting "Yes, go ahead and send it", you'll see a confirmation screen, stating that the message was successfully sent.
From the Settings page, a merchant can
- Change the account connected with Shopify
- Change the list connected to the app
- Edit Fields mapping from Shopify to MailUp
- Get a real time report on recent activity that has occurred between Shopify and MailUp, through the app. If errors have occurred, they will be listed as well.
I don't see any activity from Shopify to MailUp
If you believe that you set everything up correctly, and yet the Recent Activity report does not show data being tranferred from Shopify to MailUp (it simply says Connecting to MailUp, but it does not record any other data transfer), something must not have been saved correctly.
In our experience, simply uninstalling and reinstalling the MailUp App for Shopify has resolved the problem.
When a customer's email opt-in preference is updated in the Shopify store admin, is it also updated in MailUp?
Unfortunately at the moment, this change in subscription preferences is not transferred over to MailUp. Therefore, remember to unsubscribe the same customer in MailUp.
We're working on implementing this upgrade to the sync process in a future release.