Create a form
Follow these steps to create your first form.
- Tap on the + icon in the upper right of the home screen
- In the pop-up, tap the list that will be connected to the form.
- You will see a barebone form, with just the name of the list as the title, its notes as welcome text and the email address field.
It's now time to customize your form before using it.
Customize a form
Tap the pencil and paper icon in the upper right of the form view to start customizing it.
If you are in portrait mode, tap on the menu icon in the upper right of the screen to view the tabs.
In landscape mode, Form settings tabs are always visible on the left.
After you're done, you can go back to the form by tapping the menu icon and then tapping the back icon.
From this tab, you can customize the look and feel of your form.
- Header: This is the title of your form.
- Welcome text: This is a subtitle, displayed right under the Header.
- Subscription button: the text inside theform subscription button.
- Subscription message: The message shown to people who submit the form, if you have disabled the subscription confirmation email (single opt-in).
- Subscription message (with confirmation): The message shown to people who submit the form, if you have enabled the subscription confirmation email (confirmed opt-in).
- Font: choose a font for your form.
- Text color:changethecolor of the text inside the form. This setting applies to all the text in the form, including the one in the subscription button.
- Button color:editthecolor of the subscription button, placed at the end of the form.
- Upload Logo: You can select a logo from the iPad or Tablet's camera roll that will be placed on top of your form. We suggest using a PNG image with transparency, with a minimum width of 310 pixels.
- Change Background: You can select a background from the iPad's camera roll. JPG and PNG images are supported. The suggested dimensions are
- 1536*2048 for portrait mode;
- 2048*1536 for landscape mode;
- 2048*2048 if you intend to use the form both in portrait and landscape mode.
- Default Images: If you don't have a custom background, you can choose between 8 predesigned, ready to use images.
To choose the colors for text and button you will use this color picker:
- use the main slider to choose a color tone;
- tap or slide your finger anywhere on the color palette to pick a color;
- use the alpha slider to apply a transparency level;
- tap on the hexadecimal code to enter a specific HEX code.
Tap the fields tab to choose and customize the fields available in your form.
- Choose if you want to collect email, SMS or both. Remember that at least one of the two is required for each form.
- If you select SMS, you must pick a default international prefix code.
- Toggle the Enabled switch to insert a recipient field inside your form.
- Once a field is enabled, you can mark it as mandatory by toggling the Required switch.
- To rearrange the fields' order, drag and drop the icon on the right of each field.
- You can also rename fields labels by tapping the orange pencil icon next to each field.
Once you insert a label, the original field name will stay visible in gray below the label.
To avoid problems in recording the data collected, we recommend avoiding the use of the '&' character both in the names of the blocks and in the values entered in the fields during compilation.
Tap on the field type for a recipient field to choose its type.
If you choose one between Dropdown, Radio buttons or Checkboxes, tap the arrow icon next to the type to enter values available when filling the form.
Tap on "+" to add a value or tap the trash can to delete a value. You can also rearrange values order, the same way you rearrange fields.
When creating a form, you can optionally select one or more groups to show in the form to collect subscription preferences (e.g. which sport they are interested in). You can also rename group labels the same way you rename fields.
After enabling a group, you may also set it as Hidden. Hidden groupsallowto push all new subscribers to one or more groups. For example, you may add a "Subscribed with Jade" group and set it as hidden to have all subscribers pushed automatically to that group. In thisway you'll be able to automatically segment subscribers coming from the app. Please note that hidden groups are not visible inside the form.
Require subscription confirmation
If the option is toggled on, all new subscribers will receive an email containing a link to confirm their subscription. This allows them to confirm their intent to subscribe.
This option is toggled on by default: it is an email marketing best practice and we strongly encourage it. You can, however, choose to disable it.
You can customize the confirmation request email sent to pending subscribers from your MailUp control panel. Read more
If you don't need a form anymore and you want to clean up your form list, you can delete it with this option. The app will display a confirmation request.
Selecting a form
With Jade, you can create multiple forms, each connected to a MailUp list and independently customizable.
For example, you can create a form for each list in your account as in the picture below.
Or, you can create multiple forms connected to the same list and choose the form you need. For example, if you're on tour visiting a number of trade shows/exhibitions, you can set up a form for each event before departure and just select the right form for the next event you're attending.
Locking a form
Two operations are needed to lock a form, one at app level and the other atdevicelevel.
Lock a form inside Jade
First, you need to lock the form inside the app by tapping the gray lock icon in the lower right of the form.
The app will ask you for a 4-digit PIN code, needed to unlock the form.
To unlock the form, tap again the lock icon in the lower right and enter the PIN code.
Lock iPad with Jade using Guided Access
The second thing you need to do, to prevent users from messing around with the iPad, is to activate an iOS feature called Guided Access. With Guided Access, you can forbid the use of iPad physical buttons, like Standby and Home, to interrupt or change the app currently in use.
Guided Access can be configured from the iPad Settings, tapping on General > Accessibility > Guided Access
For more information on how to set up Guided Access on your iPad, visit this knowledge article on apple.com
Lock Tablet with Jade using Parental Control
To prevent users from using the tablet freely, we recommend using the Parental Control feature, available on Android versions "Lollipop 5.0" and following. This feature allows you to create multiple user profiles on the same device. For each user profile, you can give different permissions, with different access to the internet, videos, and apps.
To activate the Parental Control, access to Settings > Users and add a new user with restrictions. After creating a new user, check and disable the content you want to block, including the ability to make calls and/or send or receive messages.
From the Form list screen, you can access app settings tapping the Menu icon in the upper left
In landscape mode, settings are always visible on the left.
From this screen, you can see for each MailUp list how many subscribers collected in Jade still need to be synced with your MailUp account.
Tapping on any list, you can export via email a CSV file email containing subscriber data collected with Jade for that list.
To take advantage of this feature, your iPad or Tablet must have at least one email account configured
Once you tap a list, a "new email" screen will pop-up, containing a CSV attachment that you can send.
Export a form from a device and import to another
Once you have createdasignupform, go to the “Form settings”, click on “Options” in the left menu and then “Export”.
An email containing the form will show up. Send it to the email address of the device you are willing to use.
To import a form to the other device with Jade installed on it, simply open the attached file in the email and select “Copy to Jade”.
Jade opens automatically and the new form will appear in the form list. Please note that the two devices must be logged in the same MailUp account for the form to be imported correctly.
If you want to log out of Jade, you can do so by tapping "Log out" in app settings.
If you log out of the app, all forms and subscribers data associated with the forms will be removed. This will not affect subscribers that have already been synced with your MailUp account.
If you have collected subscribers while offline, you can synchronize them with your MailUp account by tapping the green circle arrow icon in the lower part of the app settings
Please note that, depending on the number of subscribers to sync and number of MailUp lists and groups, sync time can take up to 10 seconds.
The sync is also useful if you want to use newly created lists and groups in MailUp.
Apart from this setting, Jade will sync with your MailUp account on opening and when unlocking your iPad from Sleep Mode (except when a form is locked).