By default MailUp requires you to enable access of an external applications by means of registration of the IP address of the client application. You can disable this authorization check using the same MailUp page that is used to register IP address.
Joomla! extension for MailUp requires both "MailUpImport" and "Frontend" registrations, for more details please refer to this page.
Enable two-way synchronization using webhooks
Joomla! extension for MailUp can properly manage MailUp webhooks in order to keep aligned subscription status on Joomla! even for actions that occur outside the Joomla! environment. By means of properly configured webhooks you can automatically update subscriber's status on the extension in the following cases:
- subscriber uses an external subscription form (i.e. not the one that is provided on Joomla! frontend) to subscribe/unsubscribe to a list/group or to change his/her personal data
- subscriber clicks on "unsubscribe" link in message footer
- subscription settings are changed by MailUp administator through MailUp console
Joomla! extension requires crypted URLs, so you have to specify an encryption password on MailUp. As shown in this page, you should manually setup webhooks on MailUp.
Download and install
Download latest stable release from "master" branch of GitHub repository and upload it through the Administration pages of your Joomla! powered website.
You don't need to unpackage downloaded ZIP file, simply upload it using the page that is shown here below
Connect extension to MailUp
After installing MailUp extension on Joomla! select "MailUP Manager!" and then press "Options" button
You can then insert correct settings of your MailUp admin console (here below you can see an example, fields in yellow are specific for each console)
"Webhooks encryption password" is the encryption key that you have set for MailUp webhooks
"Auto confirm Subscription" has to be set to "No" (recommended) if you want to send a confirmation request message to subscribers.
After saving MailUp configuration you should be able to test your connection with MailUp and then import MailUp lists and groups on Joomla!
Select "Lists" and then "Import"
If the operation is successful you will see in Joomla! the MailUp lists and groups.
- Please ensure that you have completed plugin authorization on MailUp, otherwise "Import" operation will fail reporting the following message: "An error occurred while importing lists. Please review your configuration."
- If the "Import" operation fails returning a message that reports "invalid XML file" the reason is likely to be the presence of character '&' inside the names of groups or lists on MailUp. Please rename lists/groups on MailUp in order to avoid this problem
- MailUp extension for Joomla! works with a single MailUp console. If you have more than one console and you want to switch your integration from one MailUp console to another one it recommended to uninstall and reinstall the extension before setting the new configuration.
- Please ensure that "allow_url_fopen=1" is set in the php.ini file of your Joomla! server, otherwise you may experience subscriptions that are not submitted on MailUp and you will also see the following message in Joomla! log file: "file_get_contents(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0"
Configure subscription form on Joomla!
"MailUp Manager!" extension has three tabs that can be used to configure subscription form: "Users", "Lists" and "Groups". This area is accessible only by Joomla! administrator.
"Users" tab is the main tab, it contains a list of contacts that have been subscribed by means of this extension. A specific column displays whether contact is also a Joomla! user. By clicking on user name, Joomla! administrator can access to contact's subscriptions.
Name and email cannot be modified, other personal
- Extension is mainly dedicated to visitors of Joomla!-powered website that can subscribe to MailUp newsletters.
- Existing Joomla! users cannot be exported to MailUp using a batch operation, the only available choices are manual subscription by administrator (single user) or file export from Joomla! to MailUp. The second choice is out of the scope of the features provided by this extension.
- User name and email cannot be modified in "Users" tab
- User's personal data fields cannot be retrieved from MailUp
Here below you can see "Users" tab and the "User's details" page that can be accessed by clicking on user name.
Tab "Lists" displays MailUp lists, also showing "local names" (you can specify a local list name to be used on Joomla! that can be different from MailUp names) and whether lists are "published" or not. Only Published lists can be displayed on subscription form. By clicking on list local name you can access to list details.
"Groups" tab works in the same way as "Lists" tab.
When Lists and Groups are properly configured you should access to module setting in order to display "MailUp Module" in a suitable position o frontend. Pictures below show that MailUp Module is placed in "position-7". By selecting a position you automatically enable visibility of subscription form on the home page of your website.
Here below you can see an example of the subscription form. In this example are available four lists ("Home and garden newsletter", "Cooking", "Wellness" and ""Travel"). The first three lists also have a sub group
You can customize the form style and "terms of service" (e.g. by adding a link). When you press "Subscribe" a message is displayed on the top of the page. Here are displayed some examples.