FTPZIP is a MailUp application that allows to send an email message to a defined list of recipients by simply uploading a ZIP archive to an sFTP location (via sFTP only, using port 22).
This features is typically used by advanced users that have a need for configuring and sending a campaign without accessing the MailUp web application, and without using the MailUp APIs.
FTPZIP presents different Operation Modes. They are:
- FULL: Create a newsletter in MailUp and send it
- SEND: Send a newsletter (the newsletter has been previously created in MailUp)
- SAVE: Create a newsletter in MailUp
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you can enclose in the ZIP archive different kinds of files.
The only mandatory file is the one called settings.xml. The information enclosed in settings.xml allows to determine the Operations Mode and the details needed for each different operation mode.
Operation mode use cases
FTPZIP manage the following use cases:
- (FULL) Create and send an email message to a list of recipients.
- (SEND) Send an already defined email message to a list of recipients.
- (SEND) Send a copy of an already defined email message to a list of recipients.
- (SAVE) Create an email message.
Operation mode kind of mailing
FTPZIP will be configured to execute only Massive Send, only Transactional Send or both. For details about FTPZIP configuration ask to your commercial reference.
Send of email message to a list of recipients can be executed in two different ways:
We recommend use of Massive Send when is required manage a single zip archive one at a time and the newsletter have to be sent to a great amount of subscribers.
We recommend use of Transactional Send when is required manage more than one zip archive at the same time and the newsletters have to be sent to a reduced amount of subscribers.
In case FTPZIP executes a Massive Send, the personal data of subscribers listed in the Recipients.csv file (details here) are imported in MailUp Account Database.
Email messages are sent as a common mailing executed using the MailUp Web Application.
When FTPZIP works in this way:
- Subscribers listed in Recipients.csv are subscribed to MailUp Account Database complete of all personal data. It is a real Data Sync.
For this reason in Recipients.csv you can only can add up as many dynamic fields as your account allows, comply with the formatting policies mentioned at the page CSV File Format .
- Personal data of the subscribers listed in Recipients.csv file can be used as Dynamic Fields in the newsletter if the use of Dynamic Fields is enabled for the account and the Newsletter.
- Imported Personal Data can be used in the filter and segmentation mechanism of the MailUp Account.
In case FTPZIP executes a Transactional Send, the personal data of subscribers listed in the Recipients.csv file (details here) aren't imported in MailUp Account Database.
Email message are sent using MailUp Transactional API. Details about how to enable and configure Transactional Mailing on a MailUp Account are here.
When FTPZIP works in this way:
- Subscribers listed in Recipients.csv are subscribed to MailUp Account Database, but personal data aren't imported. It isn't a real Data Sync.
For this reason in Recipients.csv you can add up more dynamic fields as your account allows (see CSV File Format).
- Personal data of the subscribers listed in Recipients.csv file can be used as Dynamic Fields in the newsletter, if the use of Dynamic Fields is enabled for the account and the Newsletter (see Settings.xml)
- To work is necessary that the SMTP+ functionality is enabled for the MailUp Account.
- FTPZIP manages only immediate Transactional Mailing. Schedulation of Transactional Mailing isn't foreseen at the moment.
Upload ZIP Archive
The ZIP archive has to be uploaded in the FTP subfolder “/import_zip” that can be accessed from your FTP root path.
Use SFTP protocol (port 22).
Notification alert messages
FTPZIP can send email message to notify the result of the operation or error arisen during the execution. The email messages are sent to the address written in the node notifyemail in settings.xml (see here or here).
Details about notifications messages are here.