Configuring the Extension
After installing the extension you will need to configure a few settings. To do so:
- Log into your Magento admin console and navigate to Newsletter > MailUp > Connect to MailUp
- In the left-side navigation, click on Newsletter under Customers
You will now be able to configure the MailUp Extension Settings
Here is a description of what the settings are and what they do.
Enable module debugging log
|Admin Console URL|
This URL is unique for each MailUp account. It’s the domain portion of the URL shown in your browser address field when you are using your MailUp admin console. It looks like something like g4a0.s03.it or ddbd.emailsp.net.
To locate it, just log into your MailUp account, launch the admin console, and look at the URL in the browser address field.
|Web Service User Name||Your MailUp API User Name. To retrieve your MailUp API user name and password, log into your MailUp admin console and navigate to Manage > Web Services|
|Web Service Password||Your MailUp API Password. Same as above.|
|List||The List within your MailUp account that you wish Customers to be subscribed to, by default.|
|Enable subscription checkbox during checkout|
Select yes if you wish to show the newsletter sign up checkbox during checkout. Here is how it is displayed:
The text shown can be edited as any other text string shown in the storefront (see how).
|Enable Automatic Data Export||Select yes to enable automatic data export from Magento into your MailUp list. Additional details.|
|Export Frequency||Select how often data will be updated and exported. (e.g. choose "Hourly").|
|Webhook crypt key|
MailUp API Credentials
Notes & Limitations
The date format used in the data that is exported to MailUp (E.g. order date) is always dd/mm/yyyy.
- This is true both for the data that is exported automatically (e.g. hourly data transfer from Magento to MailUp) and manually (using the customer segmentation feature of the extension)
- Keep this into account when configuring triggered messages in your MailUp account.
- Note that the date shown in Magento will reflect the Locale of the store (e.g. a US-based store will use dates in the mm/dd/yyyy format when using the customer segmentation feature of the extension)
Limitation: no subscription checkbox during checkout
Currently - as of November 2012 - the default Magento checkout system does not include a way for the customer to sign up for the store newsletter. Since that preference is used in the integration with MailUp to indicate to MailUp whether or not the customer is a subscriber (i.e. whether or not it should be automatically subscribed in MailUp), this creates a problem: most customers will not subscribe and will therefore not be visible in MailUp.
- Short term fix: you can add the email marketing preference checkbox to the Magento checkout using an extension. There are several that do so. For example: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/SpletniSistemi/extension/5475/newsletter_checkbox
- Medium term fix: future versions of the MailUp extension for Magento will address the problem and will likely support more sophisticated email marketing preferences, such as the ability for the customer to subscribe to multiple lists (e.g. "Daily Specials" and "Weekly Promotions").
Limitation: multiple stores
Currently - as of November 2012 - there is a limitation with regard to supporting multiple Magento-powered stores with the same MailUp account. Since recipients fields are shared across Lists within a single MailUp account, order data from different stores would flow into the same fields, with one store potentially overwriting the values transferred from another store. Specifically, if the same customer placed an order on the first store, and then an order on the second store, the data from the second store would overwrite the order data transferred from the first store, even if different Lists are associated with the two stores, because the fields are shared between the two Lists.