Table of content
An introduction to filters
Filters allow you to segment your recipients based on a variety of conditions. The conditions can be based on:
- Profile Filters: data saved to the recipient's profile
- Activity Filters: actions that a recipient did or did not perform
- Geolocation; the approximate location of a recipient
- Device Filters: the device that a recipient has used in the past
Test a filter
With Mailup 8.8 you can now test a filter as you create it or edit it by performing a real-time email or SMS search that returns the number of subscribers that match the filter (great feature improving your productivity )
From the example below we tested an activity filter while working on its condition and it returned 2 subscribers
When filters are used
Filters are used for many different purposes in your MailUp admin console.
- They are shown in the advanced search options when you are looking for specific recipients
- They are also shown at the time you set up a mailing, allowing you to narrow the list of recipients that will receive your message
- They can be used to create Groups. For example, you could move into a new group called "Male under 30 in NYC" every recipient that meets the filters "Male", "Under 30", and located in "New York" (assuming you saved that information in the recipients database)
- They can also be used to send targeted triggered messages. For example, a "Thank You" note could be sent to customers that match the filter "Latest order date was 30 days ago" (the order date could be saved to the recipients database by using an ecommerce integration)
- Finally, they can be used together with dynamic content, another advanced feature that allows you to dynamically change the content of a message when certain conditions are met
All in all, filters are one of the most powerful feature in MailUp, and can allow you to run sophisticated marketing campaigns.
Filters and the Marketing+ package
Your MailUp account comes with a few, default filters. In order to be able to add and edit multiple filters, you will need to add the Marketing+ package to your account.