Create a new campaign
Let's start our campaign by creating a new one from the top-left dropdown Create new:
In this page you will be required to insert a few pieces of information:
- Campaign name
- Type: email
- Start and end dates
You should not insert any information in the MailUp section, these will be compiled by the tool itself with the statistics of the sent item.
Add members to your campaign
You will then need to add members to your campaign by clicking on the Manage Members button:
You will be able to select your campaign members by using the Salesforce filters.
You can also add campaign members from other reports you might be running in Salesforce, at any time
After identifying the contacts you want to add to the campaign:
- Click on Add with status
- Set it to Sent
- You will see these contacts at the bottom of your campaign page in the section Campaign Members:
Export campaign members to MailUp
Buttons and actions
You can now export your campaign members to your MailUp account by clicking on the MailUp button on the top of your page.
Here is a description of the buttons that you will find on this page, and what they do:
Export members to MailUp
Pushes the contacts to MailUp, assigning them to a Group named after the Salesforce campaign
The data included in any mapped fields is exported to MailUp.
Import statistics in Salesforce
|Imports campaign statistics from MailUp to Salesforce|
Go to MailUp
|Opens a new browser window and logs you into your MailUp admin console|
Create message from template
Creates a new message in MailUp, using one of the 400+ available templates.
This is needed to associate the message in MailUp with the Campaign in Salesforce. You will edit and send the messages from MailUp so that you can leverage all of its features.
Create empty message
Creates a new, empty message in MailUp (i.e. a message not generated from a template).
This is needed to associate the ID of the message in MailUp with the Campaign in Salesforce. You will edit and send the messages from MailUp so that you can leverage all of its features.
Choose this option if you want to create the message from scratch using the message editor in MailUp, or if you want to copy and paste your own HTML.
A note will automatically be added to the message similar to the following "<MESSAGE ID> - Message generated from Salesforce campaign <CAMPAIGN ID> <DATE DD/MM/YYYY TIME>"
Refresh message preview
Allows you to see the latest version of the message, retrieved from MailUp, without having to log into your MailUp account.
This is useful if - down the road - you want to see what email message was associated with this Campaign.
Allows you to view campaign statistics directly in Salesforce, without having to log into your MailUp account. (These statistics are not the same as the statistics that get imported into Salesforce. These are higher level statistics and are static.)
For even more high level campaign statistics, log into your MailUp account and visit the Statistics section in the navigation.
What happens after exporting to MailUp
After clicking on Export members to MailUp, click on Go to MailUp to be automatically logged into your MailUp admin console.
- Under Recipients > Groups you will find a new Group of recipients with the name of the campaign. Note: if a recipient already existed in MailUp prior to this campaign:
- The recipient will be assigned to this new Group. The recipient remains assigned to any other group it had already been assigned to
- The recipient's profile will be updated with the latest information coming from Salesforce. This applies to the data contained in the fields that have been mapped between Salesforce and MailUp in the configuration.
- Under Messages > Email > Saved you will find the message that you have associated to this Campaign after creating the empty message from Salesforce (see Create empty message or Create message from template in the table above)
Create a new message
Ready to create a new message? First, you must create a message in Salesforce which links to MailUp: in Salesforce on your campaign page, choose if you want to use a MailUp design (Create message from Template) or prefer an empty message (Create Empty message.)
As mentioned above, this step is needed to associate the message that will be sent from MailUp with the Campaign that has been created in Salesforce.
Now, to find the message in your MailUp console, click on the Go to MailUp button which will log you into your MailUp console. Go to Saved messages:
- The message is named after the Salesforce Campaign
- Campaign details are saved to the message Notes.
- The message is not edited and/or sent from Salesforce, but rather must be sent directly from MailUp. This is because MailUp contains all the advanced features that you need to create, test, and execute a professional email marketing campaign.
Modify your message and see the changes in Salesforce
Whenever you change the message in your MailUp console you will be able to see it in Salesforce by clicking Refresh message preview, or simply by refreshing your browser.
This ensures that you are always one click away from seeing exactly the content that has been sent (or will be sent) to your campaign members.
Send your message from MailUp
If you are ready to go, send the message from MailUp and select your previously created Group in the Select recipients page.
Remember to always change your message's subject. Keep your notes as they are and you will be able to always reference your message back to your Salesforce campaign.
Check your results
After sending your email you will notice a new button on the Salesforce page of your campaign. Click on MailUp: View report. The pop up it opens is the copy of your MailUp Summary report.
Synch your statistics
A couple of days after sending the message, you should easily import your statistic in Salesforce with the button Import statistics in Salesforce and you will be able to see the data in the campaign page in the MailUp section:
And in the campaign members details page:
If a user unsubscribes in MailUp, the Email Opt-out field in your contact or lead page will be automatically checked.
Leverage your data
The data that you imported are visible in each campaign member field and can be used to run a report in Salesforce and to create further campaigns.
Some example of campaigns:
- Re-engage your user by running a report on those campaign members that did not open a specific message and try to engage them with different content.
- Send specific offers to those members that opened a previous campaign related to a product or service