Adding a New Activity Filter
The process of adding a new Activity filter consists of defining one or more conditions that will be used when the filter is applied.
- In an Activity filter, all conditions based on activity (or inactivity) by the recipient
- You can connect multiple conditions ad sub-conditions using the Boolean operators AND & OR (e.g. did not click on any messages between January and June AND subscribed before January). Learn more about how to set the conditions in a filter.
- The Link field can be used to narrow the filter to recipients that clicked on a specific link, and therefore can be used only when the Action is Clicked On
The Actions are divided into email and SMS:
- Opened or did not open
- Clicked or did not click
- Subscribed on
- Unsubscribed on
- Whom you sent the specified message in the last / exactly N days (up to a maximum of 15 days. Selecting the condition "exactly" the maximum value admitted will be 14 since it also counts the starting day)
- Whom you successfully sent the specified message in the last / exactly N days (up to a maximum of 15 days. Selecting the condition "exactly" the maximum value admitted will be 14 since it also counts the starting day)
- Whom you did not send in the last / exactly N days (up to a maximum of 15 days. Selecting the condition "exactly" the maximum value admitted will be 14 since it also counts the starting day)
- Who did not receive... (due to hard bounces or not due to a hard bounce)
at least one action
- less than 5 actions
- less than 10 actions
- 10 or more actions
- Generated a soft bounce error (to know more about Soft Bounces, click here)
- Received or did not receive Welcome message
- Whom you sent / successfully sent / didn't send / the specified SMS in the last 15 days
- Who did not receive an SMS
- Who did not receive an SMS (Expired / Rejected)
The Messages drop-down menu contains:
- the list of the last messages sent
- the entry "any message"
- the entry "last message"
- the ability to search for specific messages by typing their name.
Activity data limitations: Activity details are stored in our systems for a certain number of days, based on your subscription. Your current plan provides data on opens and clicks for 365 days, while the detail of the recipients to whom you sent a message has a 15-day limit (not extendable).
You can also decide to only select messages that contain specific Tags. This is a useful tool to evaluate your audience interest on a specific campaign (maybe your audience is interested in messages that include "Cars" tags. By knowing this you could send them a specific promo for car lovers).
The date fields allow you to specify a date range for which the condition applies.
An example: a re-engagement filter
For example, let's assume that you wish to send a re-engagement message to recipients that did not open any message sent to them between April and June, and that subscribed to your list before April. You will use this filter to segment your recipients and send a special, re-engagement message to the ones that match the filter's criteria.
- Select a Category to assign the filter to, or create a new one
- Enter a Name for the new filter (e.g. "Re-engage non-readers April-June")
- In the Action drop-down, you will select Did not read
- In the Message drop-down, select Any
- The Link field will remain empty
- Use the From and To fields to enter the dates that match your timeframe.
Next, click on Add condition to specify the second condition for this filter, i.e. the recipient must have subscribed to the list before April.
- As the Operator, use AND
- As the Action, select Subscribed On
- The Message is not a selectable field in this case, nor is the Link field.
- For the timeframe, specify a period of time before April.
Click on Save to save the new filter.
Link and link tracking code
When you enter a URL in the Link filed, the system performs a "like" match on the URL to determine if the recipient had clicked or had not clicked on it. This means that it will find a match even if the link contained some link tracking code, but you do not enter the link tracking code in the filter. For example, if the link in the email was "http://www.myCompany.com?utm_source=email", but you only enter "
Exactly X day(s) ago
Under Recipients > Filters > Activity, activity filters allow you to segment subscribers based on their recent email activity (e.g. opened an email). Activity filters are also the basis for setting up drip campaigns and sending triggered emails in the Automation tab.
Let’s say you are an e-commerce marketer and would like to setup a feedback email (i.e. our triggered email) 5 days after your customers viewed the “Your order has shipped” message. To do so, you’ll have to first setup an activity filter. This activity filter tallies up all subscribers who have opened my shipping confirmation email exactly 5 days ago, leveraging the new option “Exactly 5 day(s) ago”.
Now that we’ve setup this activity filter, let’s create the triggered email under Automation > Tasks. In short, when our activity filter is true (under the Condition tab)…
… the system will send our feedback email (selected under the Action tab). Based on our filter, this will happen 5 days after a subscriber opens our shipping confirmation email.
So, there you go! That’s how to setup a triggered email sent precisely N days after a certain email activity occurred, leveraging this new, useful filter setting.
Activity filters now have an hour-based condition to more effectively run time-sensitive drip campaigns, such as shopping cart abandonment emails. To know more, check the example here